Saturday, March 14, 2009

Final Project Proposal

Phill Oostdyk
Dr. Johns
Eng Comp

My proposal for my final project is any essay on what is happening with genetic engineering right now and how this is beneficial. It seems that at least once a week, something else is happening in genetics. From a Today Show report about in vitro clinics are starting that let you choose the sex of your baby in LA and New York to the Bema administration rescinding some of the Bush administration’s laws on stem cell research. I feel that all this advancement in genetics will help the human race. It will lead to a time where diseases such as cancer and HIV can be cured, not just prolonged.

For the counter-argument, I will use some of the views of McKibben and Joy that we have read, along with some of the views of government officials who are against such legislation like Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia and Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama.

The research I am planning on doing for this paper is to use the readings from this semester; Joy, McKibben, and Silver, along with research on the Internet. I will be using reliable websites to get stories from such as MSNBC, CNN, and ABC News. I am also going to look up science Journals such as Science and American Journal of Science.

1 comment:

Adam Johns said...

I'd emphasize the scientific research (e.g., Science rather than ABC news). I'd also try to narrow your focus a little bit - for instance, if you were simply to argue: "We should embrace genetic engineering as a way of curing disease, and the possible consequences are worth it" that would be a somewhat more focused topic that would still have lots of possible leeway in it. In other words: make this more focused, not less focused, as you proceed.